Count on Us for Primary Schools
An exciting pan-London maths programme engaging Year 4 and 5 pupils in a range of maths activities to challenge, motivate and inspire.
In 2019, 7,652 pupils were involved in the Primary Challenge across 90 schools, with 95% of teachers reporting a positive impact on their pupil’s confidence levels.
The Count on Us Primary Maths Challenge is delivered by The Maths Zone.
Due to the coronavirus crisis, our Count on Us Maths Challenge events are currently on hold. In the meantime, we’ve put together some Virtual Challenge resources for pupils to try out at home. Click on the button below to take part.
COUNT ON US PRIMARY CHALLENGE
The Primary Challenge is based on three rounds, each focusing on a key area of maths: shape, numeracy and problem solving. Some of the activities are team activities and others are individual speed based mental maths activities.
The Primary Challenge works best when teachers make it their own and set up clubs, in-class opportunities to use the resources and even work across schools to set up inter-school practice tournaments.
Although 3 pupils represent the school at the Challenge events at City Hall, the most important part of the programme happens back in schools when whole classes/year groups engage in the activities.
*We prioritise schools with higher percentages of pupils on Free School Meals (FSM)
WHAT WILL TAKING PART INVOLVE?
Each participating school will be required to;
- Pay a one-off participation fee per school. This covers all of the resources and training that your school will receive, in addition to your pupils’ participation in the tournament.
- Select a lead teacher to attend teacher training and run the programme in their school.
- Commit to setting up clubs and/or in-class opportunities to use the Count on Us activities with at least 30 pupils.
- Run an in or inter-school tournament to select a team of 3 pupils to represent the school in the Heats at City Hall. Highest scoring teams will make it through to the Final at City Hall.
“This is Maths but not how we know it. It takes you to a different dimension.”
– Pupil, Cheam Fields Primary Academy, Sutton
“I just wanted to say a massive thank you from Mayflower on yet another well run and successful Challenge. The children absolutely loved being part of it this year (and you know I love it as well!).”
– Teacher, Mayflower Primary School
A huge thank you to our delivery partners for supporting Count on Us. We could not run the programme without you.