Count on Us Primary Challenge
The Count on Us Primary Challenge is an exciting pan-London maths programme engaging pupils in a range of maths activities to challenge, motivate and inspire. Our unique programme, with its focus on team work and collaboration, has been run in classrooms and clubs across London’s schools, even during the period of school closures.
In 2020, 2,040 pupils were involved in the Count on Us Primary Challenge across 68 schools, with 95% of teachers reporting a positive impact on their pupils’ confidence levels.
The Count on Us Primary Challenge is delivered by The Maths Zone.
“This is Maths but not how we know it. It takes you to a different dimension.”
– Pupil, Cheam Fields Primary Academy, Sutton
“Count on Us is fantastic. We are amazed at how thoroughly it has been organised, especially with the tournament running remotely. The children have absolutely loved the activities provided. The impact on both their wellbeing and maths skills has been immeasurable – thank you.”
– Harris Primary Academy Beckenham Green, Bromley
What is the Count on Us Primary Challenge?
It’s an exciting maths tournament, taking part across London’s primary schools.
By combing a series of mental arithmetic and problem solving tasks, the Count on Us Primary Challenge provides an exciting opportunity for pupils to work together, compete against other schools and develop their confidence as mathematicians.
For 2021/22, we will be including all new number and problem-solving activities to support your recovery agenda.
All resources required to set up and run the programme will be shared at training sessions and will then be available via the Resource Area on our website. Following the training sessions, teachers will use the activities in class or clubs, before setting up an in/inter-school tournament to help choose a mixed-gender team of three Year 4/5 pupils to represent the school in the Heats, with the highest scoring schools making it through to the Final.
What will taking part involve?
Each participating school is required to pay a fee for participation, details of which will be announced later this year. There will be two fee options:
- Type A – which includes registration, school resource kit*, training for lead teacher and one other teacher and support materials (Teacher Guide, Pupil Workbook and Tournament Handbook), as well as participation in events.
- Type B – as above, but without the school resource kit.
* This consists of Pentomino and Tangram Tubs and 3 x 24® Game Single Digits packs. Please note that schools new to the programme will require the school resource kit.
You will also:
- Select a lead teacher, and up to one other teacher, to attend training and run the programme in school.
- Commit to setting up clubs and/or in-class opportunities to use the Count on Us activities with at least 30 pupils.
- Run an in/inter-school tournament to select a team of 3 pupils to represent the school in the Heats. Highest scoring teams will make it through to the Final.
A huge thank you to our delivery partner for supporting the Count on Us Primary Challenge. We could not run the programme without you.