Join our youth board today!
Our youth board is a group of young people from all over London that help ensure that the Mayor’s Fund for London remains relevant and responsive to young people across the capital.
We’re a pan-London, non-political, and independent youth social mobility charity based in Southwark. Our work in the fields of food, wellbeing, numeracy, and employment raises awareness of the barriers facing young Londoners, promotes opportunities, and brings together organisations across our city to make a real impact on young Londoners’ lives.
In 2021, we supported over 40,000 young Londoners aged 4-24 across all 33 boroughs, working in partnership with 1,125 schools, 100 community organisations and charities, 220 employers, social enterprises, and local authorities. The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, is our patron.
What is the Youth Board?
We convened our first Youth Board in 2015. Since then, our Youth Board has been crucial in shaping our vision and aims to:
- Represent the interests and views of young people by helping us ensure that our programmes are high quality and in line with their needs.
- Generate ideas and new ways of bringing young people to the heart of MFL by providing advice on matters relating to them.
- Ensuring the voice of young Londoners is heard by helping us to create communications content, attend events, and represent young people.
Why do we need new members?
Young people on our Youth Board can get involved in advisory and representative opportunities at the Mayor’s Fund for London. We’re looking for young Londoners to join this year! If you are aged between 16-24 years old, live in London, and have a passion for making a difference in your local area, we want to hear from you!
If you’re a complete newbie, fear not – you don’t need any volunteering experience!
Who can join the Youth Board?
Any young Londoner between the ages of 16 and 24. We believe that every member of the Youth Board is unique and provides different experiences and perspectives to the table. We’d love to welcome a diverse group of volunteers from all boroughs to represent the needs of the city’s young people.
We are looking for motivated and creative young Londoners that want to make a difference to their communities and are interested in the areas of Food & Wellbeing, Numeracy, and Employability.
We are particularly interested in people who are:
- Strong communicators that can advise how best we can speak with the city’s young people.
- Interested in a chairing role – this would include chairing the Youth Board meetings and working with our Youth Participation Officer on meeting agendas and activities.
Why should you join?
If you join our Youth Board, you’ll have access to several benefits – for example:
- You’ll get to meet like-minded young Londoners who want to make a difference
- You’ll learn how charitable organisations work
- You’ll represent young Londoners through our programmes and campaigns
- You’ll develop improve and learn skills like collaborative working, public speaking, and self-confidence
- You’ll have access to unique training & networking opportunities
- You’ll receive a personalised endorsement at the end of your term – for use in applications
When does the board meet?
If successfully selected, you’ll meet with fellow board members at least once a month, either virtually or in person. In-person meetings will take place in our offices on Union Street, Southwark, or in our corporate partner’s offices located across London.
If you need to take public transport to reach a meeting location, don’t worry, we’ll reimburse your travel costs.
I’m interested – how do I apply?
You can apply by filling out our quick and easy application form, using the button at the bottom of the page. before 9am, 30 August 2022.
Once you’ve applied, we’ll review your application. If successful, you’ll be shortlisted and invited for an informal interview at our Union Street offices. Interviews will take place in September.
If you have any questions, you can email email@example.com.