Examples of aims
This list is here to guide you in identifying your own aim(s). Discuss and share these with your senior management team and other staff to ensure they can support you and help you make the club as successful as possible.
- To create and trial a way of teaching maths which is creative and practical.
Communication and collaboration
- To improve pupils’ mathematical communication skills.
- To explore and use vocabulary.
- To encourage and improve collaborative working.
- To change children’s attitudes to, and opinions of, maths.
- To create a place where children come and think that there is something to celebrate in maths.
- To offer opportunities for pupils to be enthusiastic.
- To provide maths that is practical and engaging to help children reconnect with the subject.
- To improve pupils’ problem solving skills and allow pupils to think outside the box.
- To develop pupils’ mathematical thinking strategies.
- Give pupils a boost in terms of confidence and ability to tackle problems.
Practical Real World
- Put maths in a context to support pupils of lower ability.
- To have fun in a practical way in a real life setting.
- To improve pupils’ understanding and skills in applying maths in practical settings.
- To achieve using maths skills in real life settings.
Attitudes, Confidence and Independence
- To improve pupils’ confidence in maths and their willingness to have a go.
- To encourage pupils’ to feel in control of their learning and be independent learners.
- To develop confident mathematicians.
- To foster a change in attitude and develop an ‘I can do it’ approach to maths.
- For pupils to finish the club feeling and thinking that they enjoy and like learning new maths skills.
Curriculum Links and the Classroom
- To engage in maths that is not driven by attainment levels.
- To have an impact on what children do in class.
- To develop children’s mental maths ability and number sense.
- To use games to help plug gaps in pupils’ learning.
- To teach topics through games, investigations and activities that are very practical.