Volunteer with Kitchen Social
Kitchen Social works with local community hubs to provide children and young people with a safe place to go during school holidays where they can join fun activities, make friends and get a free, healthy meal. The programme also offers high quality recipe-kit boxes to councils, called ‘Take & Make’, which encourage and support children to cook at home.
Volunteering opportunities are open to our Mayor’s Fund for London corporate supporters. See below for dates, and do please get in touch to find out more.
Operating across London since 2017, Kitchen Social works with a diverse range of grass-roots organisations, including youth centres, schools, faith groups, libraries, theatres, urban farms, adventure playgrounds, sports clubs, and special needs centres.
There has been a surge in demand across our programmes both during term time and school holiday periods, especially now as the cost of living crisis deepens. Your support is invaluable to local community organisations who often struggle with resources and the manpower to deliver a successful holiday provision.
We have a number of hubs that are actively looking for enthusiastic volunteers.
A good volunteer placement should satisfy both parties, so before contacting them have a think about why you want to volunteer.
How you can help:
Support with cooking at a Kitchen Social session
- If you’re a foodie or simply love to cook, this might be for you.
- Come along and help feed local young people at a hub, provide a hub with food, and lead a cooking lesson as head chef if you’re an expert or support the staff as a sous chef.
Help deliver fun activities at a Community Hub
- Do you love being active or are you a bit competitive?
- Come along and test your skills against our young people, whether it’s a game of football, trampolining, or a dance session, we have something for everyone.
Deliveries and drop offs
- Do you have access to a vehicle and want to help us deliver smiles and full bellies to our hubs?
- Help us drop off donations such as books, games and food during the holiday periods to support the families most in need.
Help us learn about our participants through research
- Do you like knowledge and can you help us become the Albert Einstein’s of children’s food and wellbeing?
- Help us get feedback from young people to learn more about the programme so that we can make it even better for them.
Deliver a workshop or talk and give back
- Do you dream of delivering a TED talk one day or do you simply love sharing your skills and knowledge?
- Come along to a session and share expertise from your professional or personal lives relating to subjects such as life skills, confidence building, resilience, or public speaking, our young people want to hear from you.
Kitchen Social Volunteering Opportunities:
“Our Soho House teams love being a part of Kitchen Social; sharing their skills and knowledge and creating menus to help combat holiday hunger. The holiday hubs offer a fun, welcoming and rewarding opportunity and we look forward to volunteering in the future.” – Clemency, Cookhouse & House Tonic Manager
“My children have been attending the hub and they enjoy the activities as well as the food. As a parent it’s good to see my children making new friends, being active and eating healthy food …the programme also helped us a family. Not only did it give me some much needed free time but it has positively impacted the family budget.” – Parent