LONDON IS A WEALTHY, VIBRANT CITY OFFERING SOME OF THE BEST OPPORTUNITIES IN THE WORLD. BUT THESE ARE NOT OPEN TO ALL.
For many young Londoners from disadvantaged backgrounds, the opportunity to make informed decisions about career paths and opportunities are denied through lack of access. Increasing social integration, community cohesion, inclusivity and diversity is a priority for the well-being of London and all of us who live and work in the capital.
- Young Londoners face an extremely competitive labour market when they leave education. London has the THIRD highest unemployment rate for 16–24 year olds in England.
- Those aged 16–24 that have jobs are 22% more likely to be in INSECURE employment compared to the rest of the country.
- Young people from BAME communities are TWICE as likely to be unemployed and go on to live in relative poverty compared with their white counterparts.
- Employers face growing skills gaps. Almost ONE in FOUR jobs across London are not filled with the right skills.
LINKING YOUNG PEOPLE AND BUSINESS
Access Aspiration is an employability programme designed to provide careers support and guidance for 16 –24 year old young Londoners who are making key decisions about their future careers but struggle to make links with employers. The programme can create pathways for your organisation to tap into young new talent over a 3-year term through one of the following ways:
We need your help in creating a better future for young Londoners by:
- Providing them with meaningful employer encounters, delivered either through school visits or speed networking events
- Enhancing your employee engagement through team volunteering in schools
- Delivering careers guidance and mentoring
- Hosting industry insight days to inspire young talent
- Offering work experience opportunities in different departments
In partnership with London’s business community, we aim to create more visibility of employment pathways by working with a range of schools and colleges to provide aspirational work placements and employer insights and help link employers to top young talent in communities they are struggling to reach.
We have worked with a network of over 100 prestigious London employers, such as the Bank of England, EE, Network Rail, the Metropolitan Police, NHS Imperial College Hospitals, BBC and Twitter, to provide a unique menu of opportunities to young Londoners at a critical point in their education. Over the last few years, these organisations have provided structured work experience and industry insight days for thousands of students and helped them make more sense of the London labour market.
This year, we will also be including an interview preparation and job/apprenticeship recruitment service with major employers to the programme.
To get involved contact
Patzi Shepperson on
or tel: 020 7983 5593