Happy Birthday Shoreditch Citizens!
This week marks the one year anniversary of the launch of Shoreditch Citizens, supported by the Mayor’s Fund for London in partnership with Barclays. Tonight’s anniversary event will celebrate their fantastic achievements so far including:
- over £1m worth of damp eradication work from Hackney Homes
- A replacement for the Education Maintenance Allowance in Islington
- 84% reduction in violent crime around Bethnal Green Academy
- 120 people in Living Wage Olympic jobs worth approx. £3,000 each.
- A pledge from Boris Johnson for ½ price travel on the underground and DLR for 16-18 year olds
- increased policing on the Flower and Dean Estate in Tower Hamlets to tackle anti-social behaviour
- A pledge from Boris Johnson to establish a “Living Homes Standard” and a “London Living Rent”
But most importantly, the Mayor’s Fund will join them to celebrate the Institutions and hundreds of leaders that have made a difference in their communities through this project. Chris Robinson, CEO of the Mayor’s Fund for London will be speaking at the event and is proud to be presenting the Living Wage awards. He said: “Our partnership with Shoreditch Citizens allows us to listen to the community and understand the key issues that need tackling in the area. It’s achievements are far reaching in improving the life chances and aspirations of children and young people.”
Tonight’s event will also focus on some of things that will be achieve in the coming year – including addressing issues around unemployment in the area.
Shoreditch Citizens has achieved a huge amount in a small amount of time working with over 15,000 families in the Shoreditch area. Read more.